This early medieval fortress dating from the decades following the Norman Conquest, in the form of a square Norman keep was built in 1165 by a feudal Lord – Hugh Bigod and further developed and enlarged over the next two centuries .
The remains today of the castle include its keep, gatehouse, curtain wall and the substantial remnants of the castle’s inner bailey wall. The historic fabric that remains forms the centrepiece of a more extensive historic landscape encompassing the castle site’s defensive earthworks and the area enclosed by these defences, sections of which are designated as scheduled monuments
The Castle was given to the town people of Bungay along with an endowment for it’s upkeep in 1987
Entrance to the Castle is via Bigod’s Kitchen, cafe